big bowl of update

Thursday, December 10, 2009




Dear Readers,

Sorry I have been severely lacking on posting..I promise to be better! Things have been moving right along here in Santiago so much so that sometimes I stop and think how can it already be 4pm, and December and almost 2010?! Time goes by so quickly! Jeez. Teaching has become easier because I now have a comfortable feel for my students different levels and strengths and needs--I have never taught adults before..The experience is sooo different than my little elementary school children who I taught to paint and draw in Santa Cruz! There are advantages and disadvantages to teaching adults..for example--you never have to tell adults to pay attention or focus or to just try! But they aren't nearly as funny as the little guys and it's more difficult to see the progress of acquisition in language fluency. Teaching business English is also interesting..I am learning alot about the economics, and policies of Chile and how it effects the citizens. My students tell me many new companies first come to Chile to start business to see how profitable they will be as Chile has few regulations and allows free trade.

Other than that I have been enjoying living in our new abode in Providencia. We live with Carlos and Dana--two Chileans and they host several other foreigners. The house is wonderful and alive and full of art because Carlos is an artist (Dana is studying music!). I always feel inspired and relaxed here. We cook alot and there are two hammocks that I am particularly fond of especially when it is 80 ++ degrees out which is often the case now that we are headed into summer. Even though Santiago gets hot hot hotttt-we are lucky because the beach is a hop, skip and jump (okay maybe 1hr and 30 min via micro bus) which is amazing because Valpariso and Vina Del Mar are soo beautiful and so different from Santiago. These cities feel more like you would expect of South America..kind of dirty but rich in culture and people. A more relaxed feel overall and the BEST seafood everrrr omg. Yum! I went once with Andres then again with Cortney and our roomate Nicole (from Germany). We got to see one of three of Pablo Neruda's (famous Chilean poet) awesome houses which are filled with cool awesome collectibles and such.
And the most spectacular views ever!!







I could eat seafood all day every day!


YUM. So how is everyone at home? Its funny to hear Christmas music when its so hot outside! Here everywhere there are bathing suits, sunscreen and summer dresses galore! Im thinking of you all mucho mucho! My Spanish is slowly getting better but it still needs work..sometimes I still mix it up with French! Silly! Well, more later!
Besos!

0 comments: