vaquera (cowgirl)

Wednesday, December 23, 2009




There's nothing like riding the trails through the Andes atop a caballo (horse). This past Sunday Sandra, Cortney and I decided to get out of the city (being the country women we are) to escape to Cajon Del Maipo. Cajon is really close to Santiago (60 kilometers) yet a special retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city. Cajon is beautiful with
rugged mountains and valleys, rivers, hot springs and waterfalls. There are tons of outdoor activities to partake but we chose to go horseback riding and then a dip in the pool.
Tito--our guide, a charming man born and raised in Maipo was pretty tickled by that fact that 1. us gringas were going on a two hour horseback ride and 2. Cortney and I were sporting pantalones cortes. Slightly embarrassing but little did he know that I was born in the South thus having natural Cowgirl instincts.



Then as we started the climb..I realized we were getting pretty high up..My horsey (Cajaaaha) was a trooper though. She was one tough mamacita! Especially because it was so hot. But the views were spectacular and I cheered her on in Spanish the whole way up..There was a couple times I thought we were headed over the mountains edge and into the river below but we made it alive!





Thanks for the ride! I had so much fun Cajah! :)




ps. Yes my legs were burning a bit. But that made the pool so refrescado!

0 comments: