the grumps

Monday, June 14, 2010

(image via Cup Of Jo)

Sometimes I get the grumps..meaning I have a meltdown, or get very stressed out leading to yelling and generally not being a functional person. This usually happens when I over commit/schedule myself and feel in response completely overwhelmed. Fortunately I have an amazing, wonderful and beautiful dearest and bestest friend Natalie who consistently gives me the BEST seriously the BESTEST advice. One day when I was feeling like the girl above Natalie wrote me a little note and provided some goodies that I thought was the sweetest and most thoughtful thing ever (she's just like that..can you tell by my gushing how much I adore this woman!?)! I'd like to share some quotes from that I continue to look back on whenever I'm feeling down..

"Tara, You are my favorite. Feeling shitty is so random...But hey, it happens. C'arrive. There are four things that always, without fail, make me feel less shitty when I feel...shitty...

1. Having super smooth and short nails.
2. Having the best chapstick ever, and thus non-chapped lips.
3. Taking an obscenely long shower and then slathering lotion all over my body. (is this awkward?) (this ALREADY made me laugh and feel better as I was reading!!!)
4. Drinking a hot cup of tea and relaxing with a book/magazine. (Total lie. I drink coffee and watch Bridget Jones. But tea is better for you, blah blah blah, DONC, tea it is) (Natalie is like sooo funny and we have a ritual of getting iced coffee together that borders on obsession).

...the note continues...anyway these things make me feel SO much better too! I don't know what it is but Natalie is sooo good at breaking things down... She is a super smart, lovely person all around!! I now practice these every time I'm feeling blehbity bleh and have added a couple of rituals of my own..

5. Blast some music and dance out whatever Im feeling preferably in a goofy fashion.
6. Looking through old pictures and remembering all the funny/silly/amazing times and places that I took them.
7. Calling a friend (aka Natalie) and chatting away realizing hey--life isn't that bad and tomorrow is another day.
8. Snuggling with some sort of furry animal. 

What do you do to make your self de-stress and feel better? The thing that Natalie made me realize is everyone gets stressed and grumpy at times, the key is to know how to make yourself calm down and feel better. I just love that lady! 

Besos!

6 comments:

Vanessa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vanessa said...

Dearest Tara,

I'm sorry you experienced a case of the grumps! It happens & as a matter of fact it happened to me today! I'm loving all of Natalie's suggestions! They are so Natalie. She really is the best with those things. She really needs to stop searching and just become a life coach already, she'd be such a great one! I would like to add the very obvious going for a run or working out suggestion, I guess that could fall into the dancing category, but anyway, getting your sweat on is such a great stress relief! I would personally like to add one important thing that I like to do and that I know you know I like to do, but might have forgotten:

Have a good cry. Just obnoxiously cry like a baby until it's all out. Preferably cry while laying down and while eating apple sauce, just so that it gets all over your face and hair.

Tara said...

HAHAHA. Yes! Those are perfect Vaness suggestions. I have first hand experience in these methods. <3 you!

stephanie said...

taraaa! as much as this makes me love natalie, it also makes me love YOU! this is the sweetest happiest most love-filled thing and you put a smile on my face! i miss you mucho, lets please get together?!

Tara said...

thanks stephers!! :) yesss please i miss you girly!

natalie said...

tara! thanks sooo much for reintroducing me to this list! i'm going to go cut my nails and shower right now. and lets be real, i can't afford anymore caffeine in my system this afternoon. i love you soooo much and have learned all of these things from YOU.

miss you and know you are doing sooo great.

nat